Hong Kong Immigration Consultants
Hong Kong Quality Migrant Admission Scheme
The Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS) is a quota-based entrant scheme meant for skilled persons who wish to stay in Hong Kong to explore employment or business startup opportunities.
In order to secure entry into Hong Kong under QMAS scheme, you must satisfy the basic pre-requisites, pass a points based test and compete for quota allocation with other applicants. Under the scheme, a maximum of 1,000 applicants per year may be admitted into Hong Kong. You are allowed to bring your spouse and unmarried dependent children under the age of 18 to Hong Kong under the Dependant Visa scheme.
Foreign nationals except nationals of Afghanistan, Albania, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, Korea, Nepal and Vietnam are eligible to apply for the Scheme. All applicants must satisfy all of the following pre-requisites:
- You must be 18 years of age or above at the time of making the application
- You must be able to demonstrate that you are capable of supporting and accommodating yourself and your dependants on your own financial resources without relying on public assistance in Hong Kong
- You must not have any criminal record or other records that are detrimental to you either in Hong Kong or elsewhere
- You must be proficient (i.e. both written and spoken) either in Chinese (Putonghua or Cantonese) or English
- You must possess a good educational background. Normally it is preferable to possess an undergraduate degree from a recognised university or a tertiary educational institution. However, under special circumstances, in the absence of such a degree, documentary evidence of good technical qualifications, relevant professional abilities, achievements and experience will be considered.
- Applicants who satisfy the pre-requisites must also pass either of the point based tests – General Points Test or Achievement-based Points Test.
- Under the General Points Test, there are five point-scoring factors relating to age, academic/professional qualifications, work experience, language proficiency and family background. The minimum passing mark is 80 out of a maximum of 165 points.
- Completed Application Form
- A copy of the personal particulars page of your passport. If you are currently staying in Hong Kong, a copy of your passport page containing the latest arrival stamp/extension of stay label in Hong Kong.
- A completed Dependants visa application form along with supporting documents for each of the accompanying dependant family members. For details, see Hong Kong Dependants Visa Guide
- A copy of proof of personal net worth like bank statements, bank certificates, statement showing the current market value of investments, valuation report showing the current market value of real estate, latest audited financial statements of a business, your percentage of shareholding in a business, creditor’s statement showing the amount of outstanding personal debt etc.
- A copy of proof of language proficiency in Chinese or English like the result of a recognized language test (IELTS or TOEFL for English, PSC or HSK for Chinese)
- A copy of proof of academic qualifications like graduation certificates, transcripts of academic records etc.
- A copy of professional qualifications, training, membership certificates
- A copy of proof of relevant work experience like employment reference letter, employment contract etc. (if you are employed with a company), official company registration documents showing your position in the business (if you own a business), client reference letter (if you are self-employed) etc.
- A copy of evidence of key career accomplishments and future plan in Hong Kong
All documents submitted must be in English or Chinese or translated into English or Chinese by a certified translation body. The Immigration authorities reserve the right to demand further documents as and when necessary.
QMAS Visa Renewal
Visas issued under the QMAS are usually valid for a one-year period. Should you wish to extend your stay in Hong Kong, you should file the renewal application at least four weeks before your limit of stay expires. Your renewal application will be considered only if you satisfy the following criteria:
For persons admitted through the General Points Test under the Scheme – you must be able to demonstrate that you have taken steps to settle in Hong Kong by securing gainful employment or establishing a business within the one-year period. If you cannot demonstrate that you have taken such steps, a one-year extension may be granted at the discretion of the Immigration authorities, if such extension is deemed appropriate.
For persons admitted through the Achievement-based Points Test under the Scheme – you must be able to demonstrate that you are capable of supporting and accommodating your dependants on your own without relying on public assistance in Hong Kong.
Frequently Asked Questions
In order to qualify for permanent residency, foreign nationals need to have stayed in Hong Kong for a continuous seven years. If one traveled for a month outside Hong Kong within a seven-year period, then he or she needs to have resided in Hong Kong for at least seven years and one month.
Normally, the Immigration Department will take six weeks to process applications if all of the supporting documents provided are in order. Further time may be required depending on the complexity of the application, and the number of applications received at the same time.
The Quality Migrant Admission Scheme (QMAS) visa was introduced in February 2006. This system was started with the aim of attracting highly skilled workers from nations worldwide. QMAS primarily works on points-based selection patterns. Individuals and families who want to live in Hong are required to score eligible points and then apply for the visa.
Applicants who are intent on Hong Kong immigration must prove their proficiency in written as well as spoken English or Chinese. Applicants with a score of an average of 6.5 in IELTS are eligible to apply under QMAS
To qualify for this program, you must have :-
A Bachelor's degree or Master's degree from a recognized University.
At least 2 years of work experience.
Your age should be between 18-50years The IELTS/TOEFL exam (with basic level) is required to prove language proficiency. You have to meet all the financial requirement of the immigration process.
You must score minimum points under General Points Based Test
To migrate to Hong Kong as a permanent resident, you need to score
80 points out of 100. These points are allotted for factors like;
English Language Skills
Processing time takes approximately 8-12 months.
Yes, you are allowed to bring in your spouse and unmarried dependent children (below the age of 18).
The documentary evidence to become eligible to apply should include:
An application form in English or Chinese language.
All page of the passport
Completely filled visa application form with all other supporting documents.
Proof of funds.
The result of a language test (TOEFL or IELTS).
All academic qualifications Documents
The proof or your work experiences documents
The candidate need to prepare your application form. This form must be
attested with supporting documents.
Hong Kong immigration authorities will further conduct a selection exercise for quota allocation. In general terms, this is a draw conducted to select the applications with the highest-ranking of the period.
Upon the selection of your visa application, you will receive an invitation to apply. This is called as the Approval-in-principle.
This Approval-in-principle is an indication that you meet all the prerequisites to apply for Hong Kong PR and the authorities invite you for an interview.
You are required to attend this interview with immigration authorities in Hong Kong.
If you qualify through the interview, you will be asked to complete the remaining formalities and make the visa fee payment.
The last stage is to apply for the permanent resident visa in Hong Kong.
The QMAS visa is issued usually for 1-year. You as a visa holder you can
renew this visa before you complete one year.
If you wish to extend your stay, it is important that you apply at least 4 weeks before your stay period in Hong Kong expires.
Yes, if the immigration official thinks that your qualification needs to be assessed then the qualification assessment would be done.
Under this scheme, applicant does not need to acquire an offer of local employment beforehand
No,There are a lot of e-commerce, web development, and startup jobs here in Hong Kong. Also, the working language in the big banks and multinationals is English, so that's another option.
No. If your accompanying dependant(s) is/are also applying for entry to Hong Kong under the Scheme, you can submit their applications together with your own application.
The visa fee is 190 HKD per passport and has to be paid through a Bank Draft.
Every application is different and processing times largely depend on the type of visa being applied for but roughly it will take 9-10 months
No it’s not necessary to give IELTS for the secondary applicant.
You must be under 50 years of age at the time of the nomination decision